top of page
  • michael8942

Australia Work Holiday Visa | 417 or 462

Updated: Jul 10, 2023

If you’re dreaming of an Australian working holiday, it’s important to be aware that there are some major differences between the two Work and Holiday Visas available for Australia. Subclass 417 and subclass 462 Working Holiday Visas have one thing in common however in that they are the ideal choice for young people that wish to work & travel in Australia.

We will guide you through each visa type to ensure you understand everything you need to know about each visa.

Which work holiday visa is for you?

What is the Australian Working Holiday Visa - subclass 462?

The 462 visa will allow you to stay for up to 12 months and importantly you can undertake temporary work in australia.

This visa is only available for certain passport holders, also the age limit varies from 30yo to 35yo. Check the requirements for each country carefully.

There maybe a visa quota for each eligible country, the quotas are revised each year.

Visa Education Requirement:

Each applicant for the WHV 462 visa should meet the education requirements which vary depending upon your country of passport.

You may be required to have:

  • A tertiary qualification or

  • Completed 2 years of undergraduate university study

417 462 visa australia requirements
Australia Work Holiday Visa 417 or 462

English Language Requirement:

Each applicant must have Functional English, to be eligible for the 462 work holiday visa. Functional English is evidenced if you are a citizen of and hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand, or the Republic of Ireland.


You may evidence functional English if you have completed an English test from a recognised provider including

  • Test Of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

  • Occupational English Test (OET)

  • Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic)

How do I know if I am eligible for a Work & Holiday Visa - subclass 462?

You can apply for this visa if:

  • You are between the age limit of 18 and 30 years old

  • You hold a valid passport from an eligible country

See the table below of eligible countries for the 462 work holiday visa.

Can I Apply For 2nd Work & Holiday Visa - subclass 462?

You may apply for a 2nd or 3rd work holiday visa in Australia. To be eligible ensure that you complete the required regional work. To be eligible to apply for a second or third Work and Holiday visa, you must have already completed a minimum period of 'specified subclass 462 work'.

  • To be eligible for a second WHM visa, you must have carried out at least 3 months of specified work

  • To be eligible for a third WHM visa, you must have carried out at least 6 months of specified work

Passport Eligible Countries

If you hold a passport from one of the countries listed below and you meet the age requirement then you maybe eligible for the 462 Work Holiday Visa.

462 WHV Passport Country

​🇦🇷 Argentina

🇵🇪 Peru

​🇦🇹 Austria

​🇵🇱 Poland

🇧🇷 Brazil

🇵🇹 Portugal

​🇨🇱 Chile

​🇸🇲 San Marino

🇨🇳 China

🇸🇬 Singapore

🇨🇿 Czech Republic

🇸🇰 Slovak Republic

​🇪🇨 Ecuador

🇸🇮 Slovenia

🇬🇷 Greece

​🇪🇸 Spain

🇭🇺 Hungary


​🇮🇩 Indonesia

🇹🇭 Thailand

🇮🇱 Israel

🇹🇷 Turkey

🇱🇺 Luxembourg

🇺🇾 Uruguay

🇲🇾 Malaysia

🇺🇸 United States of America

🇲🇳 Mongolia

🇻🇳 Vietnam

If you hold a passport from one of the countries listed below and you meet the age requirement then you maybe eligible for the 417 Work Holiday Visa.

417 WHV Passport Country

🇮🇪 Ireland

🇭🇰 ​Hong Kong - SAR

🇬🇧 United Kingdom

🇮🇹 ​Italy

🇧🇪 ​Belgium

🇯🇵 Japan

🇨🇦 Canada

🇰🇷 ​Republic of Korea

🇨🇾 ​Republic of Cyprus

🇲🇹 ​Malta

🇩🇰 Denmark

🇳🇱 Netherlands

🇪🇪 ​Estonia

🇳🇴 Norway

🇫🇮 ​Finland

🇸🇪 Sweden

🇫🇷 ​France

🇹🇼 Taiwan

🇩🇪 Germany

What Are The Australian Working Holiday Visa Financial Requirements?

For your first work holiday visa you should have evidence that you have enough money to support yourself. It’s usually required for you to show that you have minimum €3,500 (approx AUD5,000). You may also be asked to show evidence of funds to pay for your arrangements to leave Australia after your visa is over.

When you arrive in Australia you will have full works rights and in most cases you can earn decent money straight away.

Working In Australia

There is a wide variety of jobs available in Australia. The economy is quite strong with labour shortages in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and in rural areas. Without a recognised skill you can probably expect to earn up $25 per hour.

Remember from 01 Jan 2023 you should only work for one employer for six months (no longer). But as you will be travelling from one scenic spot to the next the 6 month rule should not be an issue.

Need more advice, dont hesitate to reach out.

Oz Visa - Dublin

Australia Immigration Consultants

License: 1789997

65 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page